Thursday, September 16, 2010

Babs as Inspiration?

In an attempt to goad the ross into writing a new column (or blog, as he called it... not sure what that is), the hoot posted this to my facebook:

Blog please. Do you need a topic? Barbara Striesand.


I don't know about you, but I find no inspiration in this.  (Nor will rossnation... be bullied into writing.  IDOWHATIWANT!)  Barbara Streisand awakens only painful memories in the depths of a tortured soul, the detritus of a misspent youth, forced upon a young the ross by a domineering older sister who loves musicals.  Let's just be clear about this: it's all Amy's fault.  She was the one who made me watch Hello, Dolly hundreds of times.  Sadly, I don't think that's an exaggeration.  In more news, there is actually a comma in the title of that movie, and it's Amy's fault that I know that, too.  And that I know most of the lyrics.  And that I love Walter Mathau.  And that I know that beyond this hick town, Barnaby, there's a slick town, Barnaby.

What else did she force on me?  How many of you know the words to The Sound of Music?  Maybe a fair amount.  How about My Fair Lady?  (Transition joke.)  Guys, who among you has sat through Gone With The Wind?  More than once?  This guy.  I also have two thumbs.  (Backward joke.)  Pillow Talk with Rock Hudson and Doris Day?  Grease.  Dirty Dancing.  Sixteen Candles.  Sigh.....  so much time lost.  Come to think of it, I don't really remember getting to watch anything that I wanted!  And why, when I've pretty much always been bigger than Amy?  When I was born, I was already bigger than her!  That is factual, ask my mom.  rossnation... is a nation of truth.

So this is why I'm not inspired by Barbara Streisand.  She, Julie Andrews, Molly Ringwald, et al, stole my childhood.  And the Mathau is gone.  That might not be Amy's fault...

rossnation... out

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. "According to Jim" stole my adulthood — or, at least, the innocence of my adulthood. Until that show came along, I thought life was fair. I was wrong.

    ReplyDelete