Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sadness Afficianado

Chong Li just laid out Ray Jackson. He almost killed him with a heal to the back of the head. And now he's flaunting it by taking Ray's bandana and waving it around like a Terrible Towel. Ray will be fine in a week or so, but it's still one of the saddest scenes in movie history. Don't mistake that for GOOD movie history; I'll not put Bloodsport in the pantheon of movies that are worth watching. But it got me thinking about movie scenes that make my eyes rain. What are the best tearjerking scenes in cinema? rossnation... presents some of our favorites.

>Field of Dreams: "Hey...Dad? You wanna have a catch?" "I'd like that."
This just slays me. I am a bucket of saline as father and son get their second chance, and
toss the ball back and forth in the growing darkness, while the people come. Anyone who ever
played catch with their dad is hard pressed to hold back the waterworks. After all, if you
build it, he will come. Or so the Germans would have us believe.

>The Shawshank Redemption: "I guess I just miss my friend."
Girls are super catty, and seem to go through friends like crazy, and I think that's why they don't get all choked up by Shawshank; but I don't know if I've ever met a guy who wouldn't list this among their favorite movies. Part of it, no doubt, is the revolving girlie posters that cover Andy Dufresne's escape tunnel, but the bigger part is the end/closing credits. If I ever open a store, maybe I'll call it The Sensitive Male, and I'll just loop this movie in the store. I can't imagine what I would sell; probably shaving cream and PWI's.

>The Hunt for Red October: "I would've like to have seen Montana."
Sam Neill gets shot, fatally, and Sean Connery gets shot and puts a sling on it. I'll never understand that. All Sam Neill's character wanted was to marry a fat American woman and raise rabbits. It destroys me when someone can't realize a goal as modest as that, just because the cook's assistant happened to be KGB. But isn't that how it always is in life? And it begs the question, are all cook's assistants communists?

>The Green Mile: "I call him Mr. Jangles."
This movie has an overall tone of sadness, but several scenes specific that just reduce me to a rossnation... compote. (Side note, rossnation... compote goes amazing with waffles.) This whole movie is one big sobfest, but when Big John is executed I think only those with dead souls can watch without weepiness. "He ain't never done nothin' to hurt nobody."

So what about the rest of rossnation...? What brings water to your face?

rossnation... out.

2 comments:

  1. > Rudy: (No sound, just the sight of the maintenance foreman clapping with extreme vigor and pumping his fist as he walks out of the Notre Dame tunnel after Rudy sacked the quarterback.) I don't really cry much, but I fight the tears every time in that moment.

    > Map Maker: The Ross Gibson Story: (No sound, just the sight of Ross Gibson melting into a wonderful compote.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I resent the notion that Blood Sport does not belong in the pantheon of watchable movies. My friend...it is at the top of the heap. How can you not get choked up as the slow, brooding, 80's music starts with Frank's montage of self contemplation? When he see's Chong Li's reflection in the window of the train, well, it gets me every time.
    On a more serious note, Braveheart: no words are spoken, but when William Wallace chases after Longshanks only to be thwarted by the knight in black, then realizes it was Robert the Bruce who had screwed him...the look of confusion/hurt/betrayal on his face starts the waterworks.

    ReplyDelete