Sunday, June 6, 2010

Lost...and Loving It!

I knew this would happen. It was meant to be. Like Ken Griffey, Jr. returning to the Mariners for one final nap. Or the Cowboys imploding in the playoffs. Or waffles and peanut butter. And because I knew that it was inevitable, I avoided it for as long as I could, trying to pretend that I had some control over my life. "I won't let it happen to me," I said. "I am the master of my destiny."

But deep down, I knew better. So I made a compromise; I decided that I wouldn't watch a single second of Lost until the series was over, and then I would watch the pilot and see what happened. Deep in my bones I knew that Lost would be an addiction akin to Dr. Pepper for me, and it had to be on my terms.

And I was right, and it worked.

One week after the series finale of Lost I got season 1, disc 1 from Netflix. That was May 31st. It's been less than a week, and I can't stop. I've watched 30 episodes in 6 days. I'm going to bed way too late. I'm drinking too much caffeine. I'm tired. But this isn't over until It's over. (That's what she said.) Non sequitur alert.

And so here's some bullet point (shoutout) quickies so far, from a newborn perspective...and in no particular order.
  • I'm in love with Maggie Grace. Let's just get that out of the way. I was quite disappointed by her untimely demise on the show. I also hope she has a great personality. If wishes were dreams and so on...
  • There's an awful lot of subtitles to read, which I think they did on purpose so you'd have to pay attention. But it takes it out of me.
  • This island is massive.
  • I really disagree with the casting of Michelle Rodriguez...in anything.
  • I realize that the writers must have been under the gun to figure out where to take the storyline, but it seems extraordinarily haphazard to me. And somehow I don't care. Why?
  • Talk about typecasting, what's up with Sayid? I'm pretty sure he's Indian.
  • Hurley is awesome.
  • Kate apparently has superhuman strength, and can beat the crap out of any guy. She must have broken the FBI agent's jaw 6 times by now.
  • Think it's coincidence that the ugly people don't really get their own story lines? And don't say, "What about Hurley?"! Do not.
  • This is why the iPhone was invented, to prevent anarchy like on this show.

Anyway, let's hope this all wraps up nice and tidy, 'cause when I'm finished with this marathon I'm betting I'm gonna need to let my noggin rest. I just hope that this crazy obsession isn't what's fueling my recent creativity. I'd hate to be boring again...

Postcard from the Edge

Steve Jobs is delivering his keynote address at the Worldwide Developer's Conference at 10 A.M. tomorrow. And I'm gonna watch. Because I want to see the new iPhone. And then I want him to tell me when I can buy one. And then I'm gonna buy one. Cause I'm a nerd.

Ross Nation out.

1 comment:

  1. You're actually kind of lucky that you're watching after the fact, because one of the frustrating things during the past six years was that the minutia of the show was analyzed to death on blogs, etc. Now you can just watch in peace without all the drama. Well played.

    ReplyDelete