Friday, July 2, 2010

Back to the Drawing Board

It turns out there’s a point at which every person runs out of ideas. Some lucky few are gifted enough (or crazy enough) to hit that wall late in life, after they’ve spit out hundreds of proverbial lightbulbs. Think Ron Popeil, whose mind is apparently just a big kitchen supply store with a few assorted neurons that fire to make his mouth move. Being the world’s preeminent infomercial salesman is a dubious honor, perhaps, but it must have been pretty amazing to spend his days with non-stop kitchen genius spewing from that electrical storm. Or it might have been misery. My gut tells me that having that kind of hypervigilance, never being able to turn it off, would probably make for some tough times, the least of which would be an extreme case of insomnia. I mean, I’ve got things on my mind far less profitable than the table-top rotisserie, and I still can’t sleep sometimes. It’s only fair that I should have a dream in which the Archangel appears and shows me how to make a waffle iron that can plug into the lighter in your car, or more specifically, my Time Warner van. This is actually how I plan to make my mark on the world (nay, the universe), as the cable guy who will make you breakfast for any of the three meals, and elevensies (hobbit reference). This of course is included with the price of your install.

But even Ron must have woken up one morning, sat down at his work bench (drawing board, hence the title), and listened as his brain said, “Not today. No more inventions for you. I’m tired.” And I know how he feels, because I just hit that wall. Yup, this is a column about writer’s block. I’ve been trying for two days to think of something to write about, to no avail. So I did what any rational person would do, and confronted the problem head on. That’s why you may find yourself reading this and thinking how little sense it makes. Sadly, this is your fault. I’m not one to lay blame, but if you these paragraphs seem disjointed to you, it is simply because you are not reading correctly.

But I can help, with my new Reading Right series! For only 5 easy payments of $24.18, I can learn you how to read good! The Reading Right series is based on the revolutionary process of rossnation…ism, in which I take your money, obviously not in personal check form, and continue to write nonsense like this, which you read and forward to your friends and coworkers. They will promptly delete it, or ignore completely, and respond asking you to quit forwarding spam. But then later at the water cooler, you will tell them that all about how you are learning to read right, and they will understand. Reading Right has already been responsible for over 4 lost hours of workplace productivity! And you can be a part of the Reading Right Revolution!

But wait! If you respond in the next fifteen minutes (because we can’t do this all day!), you’ll also be enrolled in the rossnation… Writing Right workshop at the Spokane Airport Ramada Inn! You’ll spend 14 hours with rossnation…’s crack writing team, learning the skills you’ll need to open your own rossnation… franchise! Are you tired of answering to someone else at work? rossnation… Writing Right can help you become the master of your fate, AND teach you how to teach your children how to read and write right! All this for 5 non-refundable, but still easy, payments of $24.18 (+S&H).

HOLD ON! You’ll also receive your very own rossnation… email address! Be the envy of all your friends when you tell them to email you at YOURNAME@rossnation.30isthenewboring.blogspot.com/emailserver/! You’re guaranteed to get that new job when your resume boasts a rossnation… email address!*

Just listen to some of our semi-satisfied customers:

“I had writer’s block, and then I gave this guy some money!” Chuck in Cuyahoga Falls

“All I had the energy to do was watch The X-Files. But now because of rossnation…’s Reading Right, my computer has a virus and Netflix doesn’t work!” Matilda in Michigan City

“You’re not going to quote me, are you?” Jake in Boise

So are you tired of writer’s block?! So was I, but Reading Right and Writing Right changed all that, and it can do it for you too! Are you ready for the revolution?! Then Skype us now! You won’t regret it. (You might.)

*This guarantee is not guaranteed.

No comments:

Post a Comment