Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Who Do We Hate?

Not Boise State!

Huh?  Did I just say that?  Yes, I did.  And I surprise even myself, I'll not tell a lie.  Because most any day of the year, I have...call it an extreme dislike for Boise State University as an Idaho alum.  It's not unhealthy.  I don't spend my nights dreaming of stabbing BSU fans in the knee with a box cutter or anything.  But when you go to a school that has a natural rival, you have a tendency to adopt that mutual dislike.  (And don't tell me BSU fans don't feel the same about Idaho.  That's just dishonest.)  And it really doesn't extend any farther than football and basketball.  I seriously do not care who has the better engineering program, the better music school, the better toddler education program, etc.  I am passionate about Idaho beating BSU 3 times a year, and (previously) in the basketball conference tournament.  That's it.  But today is different, because try as I might, I cannot muster anything but pity for BSU today.  Because Bob Kustra, 67-year-old former Lt. Governor of Illinois and current president of Boise State University, opened his big yapper and stuck his geriatric foot in it.
When I first read his comments, I couldn't help but be upset, because BK didn't really make a distinction between the culture of Moscow and the culture of the University of Idaho football fans.  At least the way it came out, it was pretty insulting to me as someone who lives in Moscow and calls it home.  I'd be willing to bet that he's never been sitting in a restaurant in Moscow and been accosted by a "nasty, inebriated" Idaho fan.  You know why?  Because I've been a Vandal fan since I started school in 1998, and I've never heard his name until today, and I sure as shootin' couldn't pick his face out of a lineup.  If Michael Jordan was a huge BSU fan and came to Moscow, someone would probably throw some snide comments his way.  But we don't know who you are, Bob!  When have you encountered this incivility?  
Three years ago when BSU beat the tar out of Idaho here at the Kibbie Dome, I was bartending that weekend and sold almost $5,000 worth of booze in two days, by far the most I'd ever poured.  The bar was packed with damaged Idaho fans and exuberant BSU fans, coexisting, drinking, having fun.  To the best of my knowledge, zero fights occurred, even without a sober customer within a Moscow city block.  Drunk, maybe, but uncivil?  What's he talking about?
But then I started thinking about it, and realized I don't need to get worked up about it.  If BK had stood up and said, "I really enjoy Moscow and the people there, and we have a great time at games there, and I respect the students and faculty, wah wah, wah wah," I would still hate Boise State for those several days a year.  That wouldn't change, 'cause I'm an Idaho fan.  It's the same way I feel about the Philadelphia Eagles, 'cause I'm a Cowboys fan.  So if I have no real reason to be angry about his comments, what's left?  Just the pity, and here's why.
I understand that Senor Bob probably never dreamed his retirement job would be trying to sell people on a university that is judged by its football success, but I don't think anyone is deluded into believing that their money doesn't stem directly from the Statue of Liberty Play.  And I think there's worse hands to be dealt; it would be very difficult for anyone to say BSU is a serious national playa without the football team, but it's impossible for Idaho to say, because we don't have that.  Fine, we all accept that you're in the middle of an awesome run, so don't try to tell me that BSU is an academic juggernaut.  We make fun of your academics because we can.  Don't take it personally, it's just all that we have right now.  So what BK should have done is this:  NOTHING.  If he wants BSU to be recognized academically, he needs to accept that BSU is a football school, take the money, and build from there.  Idaho certainly would.
Let Chris Peterson talk the smack.  That's what the coach of a winning team gets to do.  Does it benefit BSU to keep playing Idaho?  Of course it does.  Every powerhouse football team in the country plays filler games. It's why Idaho is playing Nebraska next year.  The money is good for us, the win is good for them.  But try this on for size -- if, instead of Idaho, Nebraska could schedule a local rivalry that was a certain victory, why wouldn't they?  A win's a win's a win, and right now, sadly, Idaho is a sure thing.  But Coach Pee is saying exactly what he's supposed to...and President Kustra should have stayed out of it.  All he succeeded in doing was pissing off half of the state and revealing exactly what he is:  not from Idaho.  
What's the real problem here?  Kustra is a Midwesterner, and no kidding, if you say U of I, he is thinking University of Illinois.  He doesn't understand that a lot of us care about Idaho/BSU, and we should.  Most Idaho fans have never shouted an obscenity at BSU.  One of my best friends works for BSU athletics, and got his undergrad and masters at Idaho.  I went to summer events at BSU when I was in high school.  But at least for a couple days a year, I find a passion in me that I think is admirable at the least.  If we win, I go home happy.  If we get trounced, I go home in a blue funk (Bronco farts are blue).  I live in Moscow, I'm a Vandal, and I don't care for Boise State.
But I'm not nasty, inebriated, or uncivil.  Sorry if that disappoints you, Bob.

1 comment: