Monday, July 12, 2010

Simplify-ification

The more I think about it, the more I'm intrigued by the idea of simplifying. I'm not thinking large scale yet, I just look around and see all the stuff sitting in my apartment and wonder why I have it. Generously, I might need about 50 percent of what I own, and the rest of it is just, well...stuff.
My dad (Handsome & Humble Hoot) is in the midst of the process of simplifying. I was not a fan at first, because out of nowhere I started getting packages chock-full of my old junk. This seemed counter intuitive, because parents are supposed to hold onto our stuff until we're ready for it. But then I started to realize, the only problem with dad's plan was that he should have started mailing me my crap years ago! (Can I get an amen pops?!)
Part of my current thinking has to do with a selfish desire: I'll have to move sometime in the near future, and it would be wicked awesome if I had less crap that had to go with me. If I could fit everything I owned into a small U-Haul trailer, how sexy would that be?! (Especially for the guys I'll guilt into helping.) Less stuff to pack, less stuff to unpack - or leave in boxes for 3 months - sounds pretty good to me. Especially when I consider the fact that most of that stuff is still in boxes! I've lived here for 9 months.
Beyond the craving to lift less, however, are a couple of deeper thoughts. For instance, there's a good chance that I don't need 5 winter coats (maybe that's just the heat talking.) Come to think of it, where did I get 5 coats?! Perhaps there are others who could use a warm coat. And no one has ever accused me of being fashionable, so we're not talking about Banana Republic here. (THOSE COATS ARE GAUCHE!)
Or how about this one: if our living space is less cluttered with things, why wouldn't our minds? How do you like them kumquats?
But here's my piece de resistance: I've been in a lot of homes as a cable tech, and some of the saddest ones are those of elderly people who have all the knick knacks of their lives saved, and their homes overflow with it. In places like this, I can't help but wonder, "Who will take care of all this stuff when this person dies?" I know that's a super morbid thought, but I can't help it, you wanna fideaboudit? My dad says when he dies he wants to own the clothes on his back and a Bible. And for that I say, Thanks Pops. (But it'd better not be for a long time.)
So in the interest of good journalism (or whatever this is), here's a couple of things I'm gonna try, and I dare you to. I triple dog dare you.
  • I own over 100 DVDs. And I haven't watched any of them in months. Yard sale much? Get a Netflix account, it's OK.
  • Coats for Kids. Or Goodwill. Salvation Army, whatever, I have clothes I never wear, and someone else might. If they have no style, that is.
  • Books. This is easy, and my favorite. A lot of used book stores will take your books and put the money you'd get into a fund for needy seniors. Leave a box of books and forget it. It's a great feeling in a bunch of ways.
  • Shoes...ahh, forget it.
  • CD's, papers, PWI's, etc. Digitize everything and save to an external hard drive. I bought a 1 terabyte model for $75. That's way more than most of us need. But keep in mind that PWI's take up a lot of space, depending on the number of little syrup squares.
So there it is, that's how we do in rossnation... Well, we're gonna try. Admit it, you didn't think I'd fit in the waffle reference. So little faith...

rossnation... out

3 comments:

  1. I have three comments and the number of my comments is three; it is not four, nor is it 2, but three.

    a) after extensive observation and copious note-taking, as well as the consultation of several experts in the field of blogging/micro-blogging in the 21st century, I have come to the conclusion that this panel can unequivocally and without reservation declare that you, Ross Gibson, aka RossNation, of 30isthenewboring.blogspot.com, do indeed have too much time on your hands.

    b) i couldn't remember your website url, so I googled rossnation. you may already know this, but rossnation is the name of a diana ross fan club. And, apparently, they have lots to say, see this amazon.com review here
    http://www.amazon.com/review/R1996GMINGNDDD/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R1996GMINGNDDD

    c) i will convince myself that you lost my e-mail when you didn't include me on your list of columnists for gibdger.whatever.com. My only hope is to gain a cult following through comments and become the bill simmons to your espn.com. people will go to the site and see if I have posted, and if i haven't, they will leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I refuse to go to work in the morning each day until I've scoured the Internet for Netzer comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You can't triple stamp a double stamp Lloyd, you can't triple stamp a double stamp!"

    ReplyDelete