Sunday, July 11, 2010

Book 'em, Danno.

Customer request: Top Ten Summer Reads or, ten books to read at the beach. I thought about this overnight, and came up with a couple of thoughts on the subject. My first thought was, of course, I believe in good customer service. And as we all know, the customer is always right (unless you’ve ever worked in retail.) So I really have no choice but to give you my top ten. My second thought was, “I don’t know if I’ve read enough books.” I have chosen to ignore this, and simply provide ten books that I have either read, or that I might read. Don’t let this concern you, because I’m not the kind of person who will continue reading a book if it sucks. So if you actually take me seriously and pick one of these up, please feel free to put it down if it reads like the Spanish half of a portable waffle iron manual* (you all know I would learn Spanish for that.) My last thought was, “Should I really alienate 90% of my considerable readership by writing something that isn’t interesting?” My only option? Make it interesting. So here’s my best shot at, in no particular order:

rossnation… Must Reads for Summer ‘10

  • Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain: This guy is really a TV personality, and he’s not for everyone. But if you like travel and learning goofy things about other cultures, he brings a unique perspective. That being said, he can be pretty foul, so beware. Haven’t read it yet, but I will as soon as I find a way to get it without paying.
  • The Overton Window by Glenn Beck: Want to read it just because this guy seems like a bag of hot whipped cream, but from what I’ve heard he can write like he’s a member of rossnation… And everyone needs a good political thriller in the summertime. Rumor has it the hardcover addition will also apply your sunscreen (as well it should for $26.)
  • Innocent by Scott Turow: Turow is the master of the law book*. The sequel to Presumed Innocent. Even The New York Times liked it. Case closed*.
  • Beach Music by Pat Conroy: This is the first on the list that I’ve read. And I’ve read it about 5 times. I wish I could write like Conroy, and you’ll wish I could too once you’ve read him. This is a beautiful example of descriptive writing, and a sad story that you can’t turn away from. Plus, it has beach in the title. So…take it to the beach with you.
  • The Facebook Effect by David Kirkpatrick: This looks like a pretty interesting look into the world since FB, and let’s face it*, no one would know this column existed if it weren’t for the Evil Empire. Non-fiction alert.
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling: I know it’s not new, but if you’re a fan, this is a good re-read for the movie that’s coming this fall. Plus, isn’t it nice to pretend you’re a wizard sometimes? Nobody? Nevermind…
  • The Sea Runners by Ivan Doig: One of my favorite books, and my dad likes it too, so if you don’t believe me, ask him. And as we all know, everybody loves Dave! Blammy!
  • No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy: Or anything by him. McCarthy makes reading interesting again, but you have to pay attention. I wouldn’t bother if you’ve got a short attention
  • Poop My Dad Says by Justin Halpern: I’m only gonna read this because I’ve seen some of the “poop” that his dad says, and it seems genuinely funny. I only wish the book was actually called this, because poop is a hilarious word.
  • 30 is the New Boring by rossnation…: I’m such a huge fan of self promotion. This is the ESPN theory; they’re watching it already, we might as well advertise ourselves. But seriously, this is a must read for the summertime. It’s also the reason that the mobile web was invented, so that you could take rossnation… to the beach with you. And please do, because I doubt I’m gonna see the ocean this year. Send the ross a picture? I promise, I’ll try to make it worth your while to stop by every couple of days.
This one’s for rossnation… follower Matt Curtis. rossnation… out.



[1] For the foreseeable future, I will try to add one reference to the mythical PWI in each column. You’ll want to keep reading just to see if you can spot it. It’s like Where’s Waldo with mediocre Righting (callback).

[2] This is the technical term for the genre.

[3] Law pun.

[4] This one’s a freebie.

2 comments:

  1. Did works by the immortals — you know, Silverstein, Blume, etc. — narrowly miss the cut? I only ask because their books are some of the last ones I read, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great list Ross and thanks for being so customer friendly. One question... no John Irving on the list? really?

    ReplyDelete